When is it a good time to eat a cake? Yes, you got that right; anytime! Whether it is a birthday or anniversary, a cake is necessary for celebration. On the other hand, if you are feeling sad, cake becomes your cheering friend. Who wouldn’t want such a sweet friend after all? Eating a cake is super easy but if you find it difficult to actually bake a delicious cake, here is a super easy cake recipe.
Goan Baath cake or Goan coconut cake is a traditional cake from Goa, India. It is made with fine sooji (semolina), coconut and aromatic spices. This takes a very different route of cake making, as it is not a traditional fruit cake or flour cake. This is super easy to make and very savoury to eat. Read on the following steps and get started!
How to bake a Goan Baath cake
- Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
- Baking time: 50-60 minutes
- Resting time: 6 hours
The Ingredients Required:
- 1 cup fine semolina (sooji)
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup milk/ coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
You don’t have to break a hole in your pocket to enjoy this delicious cake. You can get these ingredients at an amazing discounted price by using big bazaar coupons. They are offering up to 60% off on groceries and daily necessities, with 200 rupees cash back.
Steps to prepare the Baath cake
Bring all the ingredients to room temperature before making the batter. Butter or oil an 8’’ into 8’’ square cake pan or line it with parchment paper.
Steps to make the batter:
Follow the following procedure step by step to achieve the batter with perfect consistency.
- First of all, cream the butter/ oil with sugar until it is light and airy.
- Then, add two large eggs one at a time and beat the mixture till it becomes fluffy and pale yellow in colour.
- Take another container and mix the semolina with baking powder and grated coconut.
- Add this dry mix with the egg mixture and put half of the coconut milk to stir. Fold in the mixture for a while and if it looks dry, add more coconut milk. The consistency of the batter should be dropping instead of pouring.
- You may add dry fruits in the batter if you like.
- Transfer the batter into the baking pan.
Steps to bake the cake:
Baking a cake can be tricky, but not if you handle it properly. Follow the steps to operate with an oven and you will bake the delicious Baath cake perfectly.
- Place the oven rack a little below centre and preheat the oven at 320-325 degree F.
- After the oven is preheated, transfer the pan into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until done. The top of the cake will be light brown (evenly).
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and serve after it is cooled.
It is best served with tea or coffee.
Tips to bake the Perfect Goan Baath/ Coconut cake
- Let the cake batter soak for a few hours or overnight. It will ensure that the semolina absorbs all the moisture and swell up. The cake will be nice, moist and fluffy.
The Goan Baath cake or Baathika or coconut cake is the traditional delicacy of Goa. Many natives find the nostalgic factor in this cake and it is a great example of the geographical and cultural representation of the place. So, what are you waiting for? Get on with your baking skills and pamper your loved ones with this delicious cake on a lazy summer afternoon.